COVID-19 & BRIEFS
Hi Folks, A Few Notes
- Holy smoke, The Fourth of July is NEXT Saturday! How is that here already? I remember “old people” use to say “time goes so fast” and I didn’t understand it. Though now I am one of those “old people” and I do understand! Enjoy the journey.
- Last week a friend sent an interesting article concerning COVID-19, “The Risks – Know Them – Avoid Them”. The Author is Dr. Erin Bromage, a professor at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them. It is an easy read; give it a shot.
An excerpt: “Birthday parties/funerals: Just to see how simple infection-chains can be, this is a real story from Chicago. Bob was infected but didn’t know. Bob shared a takeout meal, served from common serving dishes, with 2 family members. The dinner lasted 3 hours. The next day, Bob attended a funeral, hugging family members and others in attendance to express condolences. Within 4 days, both family members who shared the meal were sick. A third family member, who hugged Bob at the funeral became sick. But Bob wasn’t done. Bob attended a birthday party with 9 other people. They hugged and shared food at the 3-hour party. Seven of those people became ill.
But Bob’s transmission chain wasn’t done. Three of the people Bob infected at the birthday went to church, where they sang, passed the tithing dish etc. Members of that church became sick. In all, Bob was directly responsible for infecting 16 people between the ages of 5 and 86. Three of those 16 died.”
- Last week VCSU and our community celebrated The Center for the Arts groundbreaking. This $32M facility will enhance the already prestigious Fine Arts opportunities at VCSU. The building will be a showplace and recruiting tool for students and our community. Congratulations to all who worked so diligently to make this facility a reality.
- Our weather has certainly begun feeling like summer! North Dakota weather changes so quickly, we often have no chance for acclamation. Oh well, let’s get out and enjoy it. There are ballgames with kids of many ages playing, the swimming pool is open, golf is available, Lake Ashtabula, hiking, biking and many July 4th Celebrations. As restrictions are relaxed, we must remember Social Distancing because IT WORKS.
- Equal rights; “Give every human being every right you claim for yourself.” (Robert Green Ingersoll)
Blessings, Pray and Be Safe,